Fallen Denver firefighter John Whelan’s

EMMITSBURG, Maryland-The name of a Denver firefighter who passed on in the line of obligation was added to the Fallen Firefighters Memorial at the National Fire Academy on Sunday.

Design John P. Whelan III, 46, was on the top of a working close 38th and Blake roads checking a dumpster fire when a sky facing window gave way.

Whelan fell roughly 20 feet in that occurrence on June 29, 2015, as indicated by the Denver Fire Department.

He surrendered to his wounds two weeks after the fall.

He is made due by his significant other and youthful child.

Whelan was among the 79 firefighters who passed on in 2015, as per the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation.

The names of those firefighters and 33 other people who kicked the bucket in earlier years were added to the National Memorial amid an administration Sunday morning.

“His companions will everlastingly convey his soul in their souls,” read a tribute message posted as his significant other and child acknowledged an American banner in his memory.

Police chief: 2 officers killed, 1 hurt; shooter at large

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — Two Palm Springs cops attempting to determine a family question were shot to death Saturday when a man they had been talking serenely with abruptly hauled out a weapon and opened discharge on them, the city’s police boss told journalists.

A third officer was injured. The shooter was not quickly secured.

“It was a basic family unsettling influence and he chose to start shooting at a couple of the gatekeepers of the city,” police Chief Bryan Reyes, his voice breaking, told columnists.

The boss, close tears, distinguished the killed officers as Jose “Gil” Gilbert Vega and Lesley Zerebny. He didn’t unveil their positions or other data and did not uncover the injured officer’s name.

Reyes said the officers were remaining close to the front entryway talking with the man, “attempting to consult with the suspect to simply go along,” when he all of a sudden shot them.

He said the shooter was not caught may even now be in the house. He said SWAT officers had the habitation encompassed.

Many law requirement officers met on the ordinarily calm private neighborhood in this high betray resort city after the shooting. They closed a few pieces and cleared a few inhabitants.

Police Sgt. William Hutchinson said officers were cautioning individuals officially inside their homes to stay there, bolt their entryways and not answer them until further notice.

In spite of the fact that Reyes didn’t recognize the shooting suspect, he showed police had past dealings with him. He added that he anticipated that would have the capacity to discharge more data later Saturday.

A neighbor, Frances Serrano, told The Associated Press she called powers after the father of the shooting presume went to her home over the road and advised her his child was “acting insane.”

“He said his better half left since she was so frightened of him,” she said, including her dad cautioned that his child debilitated to shoot police in the event that they arrived.

She’d retreated inside her home before officers arrived, Serrano said, and a couple of minutes after they arrived she heard gunfire. Minutes after the fact officers were thumping on her entryway, cautioning her to stay inside.

Serrano said the man police are searching for had been in prison at one time and needed to wear a screen on his lower leg when he was initially discharged. Yet, she included that he had dependably been neighborly and well mannered to her and her family.

“We never had any issues with him,” she said.

The shooting happened only three days after a mainstream Los Angeles County sheriff’s sergeant was shot and killed in the high abandon town of Lancaster.

Sgt. Steve Owen was noting a robbery call when sheriff’s authorities say he was shot and injured by a man who then remained over him and shot him four more times.

A paroled burglar has been accused of murder.

Lancaster inhabitants were arranging a candlelight commemoration for Owen Saturday night.

Large crowds at Denver’s Indigenous Peoples’ Day celebration

DENVER – The first official Indigenous Peoples’ Day in Denver drew hundreds of people to the steps of the Capitol Saturday, just hours after the annual Columbus Day parade passed through.

The parade route was shorter this year, and organizers admitted the crowds were smaller.

“We’re a little light on turnout, but we’ve got a lot of dedicated folks who are here,” said Dr. Rita DeFrange, president of the Columbus Day Parade Committee and historian for the Sons of Italy.

Saturday morning, DeFrange joined fellow Italian Americans in a Columbus Day celebration that included floats featuring the iconic Niña and Pinta ships, classic cars and plenty of green, white and red Italian flags.

“We’ve got such a wonderful history to be proud of,” DeFrange said. “Today is a celebration of culture, of heritage. It’s a celebration to be proud to be an Italian.”

Denver has celebrated Columbus Day for more than a century, although it hasn’t been without controversy or protest.

“In the past, we’ve protested their parade, just anything to prevent the parade from happening,” said Tessa McLean, member of the American Indian Movement of Colorado.

McLean applauded the decision made by the Denver City Council Monday night to approve the creation of an official Indigenous People’s Day to be observed on the second Monday of October each year.

“That’s great. It’s a great foundation. It’s something positive to celebrate for our people and it’s not just for us, but everyone who shares this land with us,” she said.

On Saturday afternoon, McLean led one of four, large groups of American Indians and others that converged on the steps of the Capitol. The celebration included singing, drumming, dancing and several speeches. Many wore traditional ceremonial clothing.

“It’s just one day where people can think about the original people of this land and how many of us were murdered and massacred, but we’re still here,” Mclean said.

McLean and many in the crowd at the Capitol wanted to see Columbus Day abolished.

“To us, they’re representing racism and they’re representing the genocidal tactics that Columbus brought forth to this land,” she said.

Dr. Rita DeFrange viewed Christopher Columbus in a different light.

“There’s a lot of negativity that surrounds him, but we are a evaluating a man that is 500 years old by today’s standards and we can’t do that,” she said.

The debate will go on, so long as two celebrations continue in Denver.

Author – 9News

Columbus Day Parade in downtown Denver continues amid controversy

DENVER – Two dueling events marked a controversial history in Denver Saturday.

A parade to honor Christopher Columbus’ Atlantic crossing was held in front of the Capitol building at the same time several rallies to protest the Columbus Day event were held. None of the events were well attended.
Denver7’s Amanda del Castillo spoke with groups on both sides of the controversy Saturday.

Dr. Rita DeFrange, president of Denver’s Columbus Day Parade Committee, called Columbus a navigator who paved the way to the Western world.

However, Tessa McLean with the Colorado American Indian Movement referred to Columbus as someone who never stepped foot in Colorado, but instead raped, murdered, and forced colonization on indigenous people.

The Mile High City was the first to celebrate the now federally recognized holiday back in 1907. Since then, the Columbus Day Parade has had a contentious history in Denver. In years past, protesters have poured fake blood on participants and blocked the parade route.

McLean acknowledged the disruptions.

“In the past, we have confronted the parade and stopped the parade, because we don’t want people to celebrate racism,” Mclean said.

On Monday, the Denver City Council voted to honor the second Monday in October as “Indigenous Peoples’ Day.”

Trevor Siemian, Virgil Green among Denver Broncos’ 7 inactives vs. Atlanta Falcons

It seemed unlikely that starting quarterback Trevor Siemian would suit up Sunday after Paxton Lynch was named the starter Sunday against the Falcons.

Shortly before kickoff, it was made official.

Siemian was listed among the Broncos’ seven inactive players, along with outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware (forearm), cornerback Kayvon Webster (hamstring), tight end Virgil Green (calf), offensive tackle Donald Stephenson (calf), safety Justin Simmons (wrist) and offensive lineman Connor McGovern.

Veteran Austin Davis will be Lynch’s backup at quarterback, as Siemian aims for Thursday night for his return.

Siemian sprained his left (nonthrowing) shoulder last Sunday at Tampa Bay and was replaced by Lynch late in the second quarter. He did not practice Wednesday and was limited Thursday and Friday as coach Gary Kubiak monitored his progress and mobility.

The Broncos play two games in a five-day span this week with Thursday night’s game at San Diego looming. The schedule likely factored into the decision for not just Siemian, but also Green and Stephenson. The two are recovering from calf injuries and did not play in Tampa. They were initially listed as questionable for the Falcons game, but took the field nearly three hours early to get in a workout with trainer Luke Richesson, typically a sign that a player will be inactive.

To fill their void, John Phillips will start at tight end and Ty Sambrailo will start at right tackle for the Broncos. Shane Ray will start for Ware, who was ruled out Friday, along with Webster, the team’s special-teams captain.

“(CB Lorenzo) Doss will definitely suit, so he moves up,” Kubiak said Friday of filling the void left by Webster. “He’s been working really well. … It’s time for him to contribute.”